Thursday, April 14, 2011

Typographical Conveyance

Kraus says "With visual media, conveyance is the delivery of meaning or mood from the observed to the observer."

The purpose of this work was to take words and alter them to represent what they mean in a creative way. 

For shred I decided to apply bevel and emboss effect to make the word appear rugged. I then used the eraser tool -4pt, and made lines through it so that it would appear shredded. For the last step I added a pattern overlay. 




For this design, I first googled a picture of an atom online. I then opened it up in a new window. I then added a text box and wrote the letters A,t, m in bold black font. I then free transformed the atom, and moved it to where the letter O would usually be in the word.

For this design, I first used the shape shape tool, and chose one that looked similar to the shape of a pillow. I then used the paint bucket tool and made it light blue. I was not quite satisfied with this because I thought the blue was too bold, so I changed the opacity to 16. This made my pillow appear a lot lighter, and more realistic. I then added and inner and outer glow, and changed the noise to 69. For the last step I added a text box and wrote the word pillow in a serif font.  


For this design, I first found a picture of killer whale on google. I then saved it to the desktop and opened it up in photoshop. I then magnetic lassoed the whale and free transformed it to be the size I preferred. I then took the paintbrush tool and made the letter XXL around it. I thought it was neat to include the whale within the first X. I thought this looked nice, but I wanted to make the overall design "pop" more. So I added a blue glass effect to the background with the paintbucket. I then added an outerglow to the letters.  

For this design, I first found a brick background online and saved it to my desktop. I then used the eraser tool and spelled out BRICK within the background. When I was done I was pleased with the work, but decided that I would crop the image for a greater emphasis on the word brick. 

For this design, I chose the font Zapfino becuase the cursive typer make it seem gentle and elegant. I then added an outer/ inner glow, and chose light pink for the font. Lastly, I cropped the image for greater emphasis. 

I am very pleased with how each word came out. I think I thought of some clever designs. I am glad that we were given a couple class periods to work on this assignment because I was able to improve my work, to make sure I was fully satisfied with the outcome of each word. 

1 comment:

  1. All of your images are really good! I really enjoy the 'xxl' one because of the killer whale. It's actually kind of funny, to be honest. That's definitely a creative way to use that but not compromise the image. The background colors definitely agree with the image. Great job!

    -Lamar

    ReplyDelete