Sunday, April 17, 2011

C.A.P.

Clarity

The literal, stylistic and themantic messages of this piece are clearly and efficiently presented. Each design is working towards the same overall goal  of "delivering meaning or mood from the observed to the observer." I think overall, my designs do an accurate job of representing what they mean. However, there is some room for misinterpretation because everyone views things in their own way. For example: if a person is looking at the XXL example, and see a whale as one of the X's, they may be confused as to why it is there. However, I personally put it there because whales are very big creatures. But XXL to them may be something much larger. I think there is only one overall message being portrayed. I believe the theme of conveyance is simple enough to create a strong impact. I do not think that it needs to be altered.

Audience

The target audience of this piece is college students because they are the ones viewing my blog. If there were a client involved their target audience may also be college students. I say this because each design could apply to a college student. For example: the word Atom could apply to a student taking chemsitry, XXL could apply to clothing, Lightly could be a motivational saying for college students who are under stress, etc. They key point is that if this work were to be sold, I would choose college students as my target audience as well. Each picture has its own visual taste, because they all are representing a different word. To be sure of my conclusions, I could make my blog private so that only people of my choosing are able to view it. The overall tone, is interesting and creative to keep college students intrigued. They will respond to short lingo, to facilitate readability and avoid long boring passages. I think they prefer bright/lighter colors to catch their attention. The concept of this piece does not talk down to the target audience. It is relatateable. This announcement can evoke pleasurable moods. This design stands out from what the audience has seen because I used a mixture of san serif and serif font. I gave greater weight to some texts, and made sure to keep all text legible, to create aesthetically pleasing visuals. I also made some of the typefaces italicisized. If this piece represented a person, they would be put together, funky, and act unique. The target audience would like this person, and want to get to know them better.

Purpose

As stated above the purpose of this work was to take a word and alter them to represent what they mean in a creative way. Kraus says that when it comes to typographical conveyance the use of visual media is to convey a meaning or mood from the obserserved to the observer. This work was not created to sell. The purpose of the work could be both to inform and persuade. The audience can learn to look at a word in a different way, which could cause them to act differently or change their view on something. I have informally discussed the purpose of this piece with Dr. Estes. However, I have asked her for help on ways to improve my work. The purpose, as stated in the first line, has been adequately narrowed so that it can be given the utmost attention and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment