Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gestalt Principle and Icons




The purpose of this work is to represent similarity. "The law of similarity captures the idea that elements will be grouped perceptually if they are similar to each other." I created this piece of work in Power Point. I first chose the heart shape and copied ten hearts. I then copied ten rectangles. I then aligned the hearts on one line and the rectangles on their own line. I did this because I wanted to link together similar shapes. Once I was done doing this, I decided to color the hearts red to make them appear even more separate from the blue rectangles. Overall I am very pleased with how my work turned out.





Original

The purpose for this concept was to find an image of an object and create an icon out of it. I chose scissors.
 Immediately a person can tell that these are scissors, even with the bottom half of them cropped out. That is the point. To do this I used Adobe Photoshop. I then cropped the bottom half of the scissors out. I then used the paint bucket tool and chose a light pink to fill in the handles. I thought this looked good, but to made the scissors stand out, I used the paint brush tool and outlined the scissors in black. I am very please with how the icon came out. I think I achieved the objective of this assignment by making it recognizable to the target audience.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Liz, take a look at this example of proximity and notice how the placement of dots forms a larger visual: http://gderanidaye.deviantart.com/art/Gestalt-proximity-Dalmatian-100917910 The key to gestalt is creating a new whole that is greater than the sum of the parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I re-did my Gestalt design.

    ReplyDelete